Re: [OM] My Om needs another big brother now..

Subject: Re: [OM] My Om needs another big brother now..
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 15:55:21 +0200
On Tue, 03 Jun 2003 14:22:59 +0800
Albert <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Actually, I wouldn't mind an SLR, except, they are big, and I
> question whether I'd actually take a MF SLR on a trip with me.
>
> My friend's got a 500Hassy, and he mostly leaves it at home unless
> we are on a roadtrip together.  It's just clunky to carry around..
>
> Are there "non-clunky" MF SLR's?

Well, the need for a mirror which can swing out of the light path
naturally makes the body thicker. I'd say that the smallest possible
MF SLR is a 645 system, but if that is too big or not only you can
tell???? I've seen people with the Pentax 645 system, carrying and
using it as "just a big OM". It's really a matter of trying to hold
the different cameras since peoples perceptions are different. I,
e.g., hapilly drag along my 645 Mamiya and a medium sturdy tripod
along for regular touristy things without a thought. Others may find
that to be too cumbersome.

The nice thing about MF SLRs is the wonderfull "klachunck" sound one
gets from the mirror :) Yeah, I know, and I use MLU whenever I can,
but the sound is sort of nice still....

--thomas

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)