Re: [OM] My Om needs another big brother now..

Subject: Re: [OM] My Om needs another big brother now..
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 16:10:11 +0200
On Mon, 02 Jun 2003 23:46:50 -0400
"John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> At 21:35 6/2/03, Thomas Heide Clausen wrote:
>
> >Me? I lug around a Mamiya 645-something, a nice mechanical
> >manual-focus thing. A pile of interchangeable inserts (but not
> >backs), an expensive 80mm lens and a shaft viewfinder. Ohh, and
> >the Sekonic 308II flashmeter (real MF cameras do not have build-in
> >meter). Build like an OM, operates very unlike an OM and I think
> >that it can be had 2nd hand for almost nothing. New, I think the
> >model I have is no longer available (others are, though, in the
> >Mamiya 645 series)....but it works like a charm :)
>
> I have a Mamiya M645j body and an M645-1000S body plus several
> lenses and 120 and 220 inserts for them.  The original model was
> the M645, followed by the M645j and then the M645-1000S.  They're
> the "little brother" of the RB67 without removable or rotating
> backs.  They were originally being designed for removeable film
> backs.  At some point during the latter stages of design that was
> dropped to keep price down.  The frame inside the body shows
> vestiges of being set up for dark slide, etc.

Interresting. I did not know that about the dark slide / backs....I
should dig up an old M645 and take it apart, I suppose :)

<SNIP>

> I agree that they're built like an OM.  However, numerous design
> concepts look like they were lifted straight from a Nik*n F2!
> Don't know if you have a metered prism finder, but the linkage tabs
> on the lenses and mating pin on the prism look straight out of the
> Nik*n manual focus design cookbook.

Yup, they are very nikon-inspired. I have a metered prism, but I am
not using it. I was in the beginning, a little, but I find that I
actually prefer the folding shaft viewfinder. So I am considering
finding a new home for the prism (i.e. selling it).

To me, one of the great benefits of the medium format is actually the
shaft viewfinder, which I think is just wonderful to work with.
Especially on a tripod, where I can remain standing upright whereas
the prism requires that I kneel down. Anyone wants to purchase a
metered prism for the M645? :)

What I meant by "build like an OM" was "all metal, sturdy, solid like
a tank, minemalistic without lacking features.

I checked, btw., mine is the M645-1000s. I use MLU all the time, even
with my small 80mm.

> The Sekor 50mm f/4 shift lens (I have one) is also straight out
> of the lens section of the same cookbook.  Unlike the Zuiko's, it
> has a single jackscrew to shift the lens off axis.  The lens
> rotates on its mount to position the shift in the desired direction
> (IIRC there are detents in the rotation every 30 degrees).

Huh? I did not know that shift's existed for the M645. See that might
be something I should add to my shopping list :)

> Likewise, focus and aperture are in the same direction as the Nik*n
> lenses.  Cannot remember which, but one of them is opposite the OM.

Hmm, I don't remember either :) I have not  even noticed that it is
different...

> You can get an M645j with 120 insert, 80mm f/2.8 Sekor C standard
> lens and one of the metered prism finders for relatively low cost.
> The bodies are very sturdy and the Sekor lenses are excellent.

I think I would go for the -1000s rather than the -j, precisely due
to the lack of MLU on the -j. Also, I do find that the 1/1000 shutter
speed of the -1000s is usefull at times. Still, both the -j and
-1000s are excellent, and I think that you may even find a -1000s at
a very low cost.

> Among the 6x6 SLR's, in addition to the Hasselblad, are the Rollei,
> Contax and Bronica.  A good friend uses a newer Bronica SQAi . . .
> also very reliable, well built, excellent lenses and not nearly as
> expensive as the others.

Yeah, good you remembered that. Bronica are actually surprisingly
good cameras. I have a friend who uses them, and who is very happy
with them. I have very little first-hand experience with them, but
Bronica's may well be worth looking into if price is an issue.

--thomas

> Also not certain I'm recommending anything, but they've been very
> reliable and have served me very well.  I agree with Thomas that
> you should visit a dealer and handle a few MF cameras to discover
> what feels right for you.
>
> -- John

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)