Shift Lenses - was Re: SV: [OM] Re: favorite lenses I don't have

Subject: Shift Lenses - was Re: SV: [OM] Re: favorite lenses I don't have
From: "Jeff Keller" <jeffreyrkeller@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 07:55:10 -0700
If you look at the data sheet for the 35mm shift lens on eSIF it is
specified as;
12mm rising
13mm falling
10.4mm laterally
83 deg at max shift vs the 84 deg specified for normal 24 mm lens. The
35 shift lens using its shift capability can capture almost any portion
of the image that a 24mm lens would take.

The 24mm shift lens is specified as 10mm maximum shift (100 deg at max
shift which matches a normal 18mm lens)

So if you have the camera level in landscape format and shift it to the
maximum vertically, the bottom of the image is at camera level (24mm x
36mm image). The apparent shortening of upper floors is still in the
image, it's just that vertical lines remain parallel.

In practice it seems like the bottom of the image is always slightly
below the camera. Any lateral shift reduces the available vertical
shift. There have been a couple times when I wished they would shift
further. In both instances I was taking a picture of a building that was
at the top of a small hill (Pacific Grove light house and the Bodega Bay
church made famous by the "Birds" film).

I actually use the lenses as much for landscape pictures containing pine
trees or canyon walls as I do for buildings.

-jeff