[OM] Re: big brother for OM

Subject: [OM] Re: big brother for OM
From: petertje@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 15:59:55 +0100
Hi,

> See, there was an important bit of extra information here: that you
> were looking only at RF :)
>
> I have only ever touched a Mamiya 7 a long time ago when it came out,
> so I do not know a whole lot about MF-RFs. All I know about RFs in
> general is from the 35RD -- i.e. not a whole lot :)

I'm planning on taking my first steps into the world of RF with a 35RD or a
similar camera, too.  That is, if they would only stop outbidding me :-)

(I actually regret a bit not having bid on those Ace lenses.  That camera still
looks about the coolest of all the 35mm RFs that I've seen until now.)

> Actually, the Pentax 645 SLRs are not all that unhandy: looks a bit
> like a really big Oly and less like a *blad. Never heard it nor
> touched it, though...

I rented a Pentax 645 with a few lenses to shoot my sister's wedding.  I ended
up using only the portrait lens (a 150mm or longer).  Not particularly well
suited for stealth photography: the lot was at least 30cm long and weighted in
at over 2kg.  With the motor switched on, it sounded like somebody chopping
trees (I expected someone to shout "timber" the whole time).  Loud is a
euphemism :-)

But the camera felt great: it's got this *huge* handle for your right hand,
with the controls right there where you want them, and you can use your left
hand to focus & for extra support.  I rented the camera 2 days in advance to
get used to it (a.o. reverse focussing direction compared to OM) and the
pictures were great (Portra 400VC).  It's amazing how much more you can see
through a 6x45 SLR viewfinder !  The large view got me much more involved with
the subject.

All in all, it was a very good experience, but I know it would be too big for
me to lug around on holidays etc.

I'm hoping the RF experience is good, because then I can start considering a
645 or 66 RF as a big brother.  Alternatively, I could check out old TLRs when
I end up in Russia this summer :-)  Does anybody have experience with camera
shops in St.Petersburg ?

Peter.