Re: [OM] OT Can you really go home again?

Subject: Re: [OM] OT Can you really go home again?
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 08:11:20 -0700 (PDT)
>So how much water/mud do you figure your differentials sucked
>in when they hit that cold water/mud?  Might want to change
>that oil out some time soon.

Nothing submerged this time.  I usually change the diff fluids
every year, though.  Have to, the rear has clunked during turns
for the past 90 thousand miles.  Some day it will croak, but
I've got fluid changing down to an artform.  Once in a while it
tends to be pretty milky.  I change fluids and relube everything
after playing in deep sand, too.

>I ain't no expert, I just used to read 4-Wheeler a lot.  I
>always try to avoid submerging my differentials.  Most of my
4->wheeling is/was done in mountainous terrain where deep
>mudholes are kinda rare.

You run into the problem of high-stress on the axles,
driveshafts and differentials.  Climbing steps where you're
hanging by one tire puts lots of twist into the drivetrain.  I
believe in the "low and slow" method of off-roading.  Much
easier on the Zuikos and the 'roids.

With the exceptions of a few very minor sheet-metal
modifications and custom pinstriping, the Cherokee is bone
stock.  No terestorone wars here.  Although, I am planning on
going up to larger tires and 2-3 inches of lift.  I don't need
much ground clearance or articulation, just more floatation and
tread.

Jeeps are wonderful Zuiko Haulers.

AG-Schnozz