Re: [OM] fisheye and shift lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] fisheye and shift lenses
From: "Jeff Keller" <jeffreyrkeller@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 22:18:04 -0700
I wonder if this could be east versus west related (in the U.S.).
Yosemite, Zion, Redwood trees, pine trees almost always look better when
vertical lines don't converge. Most deciduous trees which seem to be
more dominant in much of the east don't have straight lines. Perhaps the
canyons in the east are viewed from half way up the canyon wall rather
than standing at the bottom looking up 2000 feet.

Just before I got my 16mm a number of list members posted some great
shots they took with fisheyes. Inside of a subway station and a
church(IRRC), a fishing boat, a bridge, etc that I would not normally
think of as good targets for a fisheye. A fisheye can definitely create
great pictures, even of surprising subjects.

When wandering around the parks in the western U.S. I am constantly
wanting to frame the picture without getting converging verticals. Of
course with almost anything man made there are plenty of straight lines
that you can gleefully shift around. Probably 950f the time I'm
carrying at least one shift lens and use it. I probably take the 16mm
with me less than 50f the time. I know I'm not used to framing a
picture with a 180 degree view, even the 18mm gets less use than the
shift lenses.

-jeff