Re: [OM] Re: Olympus 4/3rds + OM lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Olympus 4/3rds + OM lenses
From: "Jan Sturm \(GMX\)" <jan.sturm@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 09:52:58 +0200
Moose,

I beg to differ,

one could design an adaptor that does the stop down automatically - after all, the digital lenses have to be stopped down as well. Even if this is done by a motor / actuator assy in the lens (like focussing on almost all modern AF lenses) the adaptor could provide that functionality (as well as encoding the mechanically provided f-stop selection the the digital body). After all, what are we looking at, functionality wise:

3 things:
-Mount / Unmount OM Lenses - purely mechanical issue
-Transmit selected f-stop to body - probably mechanical to electronic conversion - doable -Actuate aperture stop down lever from body (probably electronic to mechanical conversion - depending on f-stop actuation design of new digital lenses could also be mech-mech connection) - probably the most difficult if we are looking at mech-mech, but I'd still say doable.

(Btw - did you notice on the picture I had linked in an earlier post that there seem to be some buttons on that adaptor - could be to select the biggest available fstop on some lenses so the electronics of the body know what lens they are dealing with)

I totally agree with your economical assessment, however, here's a market segment we havent talked about yet:

All users of Oly Endoskopic / miroscopi equipment that currently use OM Bodies. These are mostly Institutional users (i.e. Hospitals, Universities, etc) and the lionshare of sales here is not from the cameras, but rather from the gear they attach to. That stuff is OM Mount. Not providing a way of mounting the Digital bodies to that stauff means going out of the equipment sales of the stuff the current OMs attach to - now there's commercial viability in my humble opinion - let's all just wait and see - even if it's hard at times to it still and hope for the best.

best regards,
Jan

Moose wrote:
Oddly enough, business vertures need to sell product in the present. The past sales that have now turned into the relatively inexpensive Oly gear we buy used do nothing to keep them in business in the present and immediate future. Thus 'loyalists' who persist in using their old stuff and not buying the new are a useless lot to them.

Whether Oly provides an adapter or not, someone undoubtedly will. Whether is will be of any use or not will depend on how the camera works. Lens to camera communication will certainly be elecrtronic, not mechanical. thus there will be no auto aperture stop-down. With any luck, it will do stop down metering with MF lenses, but that is not yet certain. There is absolutely no way that you will simply be able to slip that 50/1.8 on, focus and push the shutter release as you can with OMs.

Moose

Albert wrote:

At $29 for evilbay 50mmf1.8 Zuiko, I don't see why they wouldn't put out an adapter.. but then, that might be the point, why buy new glass if an adapter + old glass is just as good??

What would be the "zoom" factor? 1.4ish? So my 50mm would be a 70mm f1.8?

Olympus better put out one for the loyalists...