Re: [OM] OM-3 (Non Ti) Service Manual & Tool Advice

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-3 (Non Ti) Service Manual & Tool Advice
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 18:49:29 -0500
There's a good chance that the coupling ring (plastic!) has been damaged by a
lens
or other mounted-accessory missing it's stop screw.  They then can turn too far
when mounting, damaging the ring.  Check the ring closely for scrapes and marks
that would indicate the lens had turned too far.  Also check to see if the
brushes
are mangled -- you may need to lift the ring out to see.

If it is apparent that the coupling ring or the brushes have been damaged, I'll
pass along my technique for replacing it -- if you have a spare (the 2s, 3 and 4
all use the same part) and want to try.

Another possibility is that the string that pulls the coupling ring back to it's
stop has come off it's roller, which is underneath the "cover plate" behind the
shutter speed ring.  That cover is held on with five small "+" screws.  If you
remove the three screws in the upper left half of the cover (leave in the two in
the lower right), you can gently lift the upper left corner of the plate and
look
underneath to see the roller.  (If you completely remove the cover plate, the
"B-Lock" tab and spring will come out, and while it's not really difficult to
get
them back in, there's no point in dealing with it unless you have to.)  The
white
string should be _over_ the roller, of course.  If it isn't, and the string
isn't
already damaged, just lift the string over the roller, but under the brass tab
that's supposed to keep it from coming off the roller.  If the string _is_
damaged, give up -- you really don't want to remove the front casting to replace
it!

Oh, yeah -- the manual doesn't say anything about any of this!