Re: [OM] ethyl or isopropyl

Subject: Re: [OM] ethyl or isopropyl
From: James Royall <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 14:18:43 +0100
Looking for a definition I found the following from the government licensing docs:

(a) Mineralised methylated spirits (MMS)
MMS is a mixture of 90 parts by volume of spirits, 9.5 parts by
volume of wood naphtha and 0.5 part by volume of crude
pyridine, to each 1000 litres of which is added 3.75 litres of
mineral naphtha (petroleum oil) and 1.5g of methyl violet.

By spirits I'm sure they mean ethanol as another type of meths is called denatured ethanol, which is

(c) Denatured ethanol B (DEB)
DEB consists of 999 parts by volume of spirits (of a strength
not less than 850f volume) and 1 part by volume of tertiary
butyl alcohol, to which is added 10mcg Bitrex per ml.

So I've had a bottle of denatured alcohol (in the form of MMS) sitting at home all along and not known it was what I am looking for.

James