Re: [OM] cokin filters

Subject: Re: [OM] cokin filters
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 18:22:17 +0200
On Fri, 6 Jun 2003 13:03:59 -0300
"John Hudson" <13874@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Are there any cokin filter users, or others, on the list who can
> opine as to the quality of cokin filters and any resulting image
> degradation as compared to using high quality optical glass
> filters? Just off the top of my head I have to think that cokin's
> plastic filters result in greater image degredation than high
> quality B+W and Heliopan filters for example and also are more
> prone to scratching than glass filters.
>
> John Hudson

Well, I use Cokin P series filters, basically since I think it is
more handy than carrying a pile of screw-in filters around, and
because it allows me to maintain only one filter set for OM, other
35mm and MF stuff.

I have not conducted any formal testing of them vs. e.g. B+W, but I
am quite satisfied with what they produce. I have not noticed any
image degradation, but then that may imply that either there is none
to speak of, or that I haven't been looking carefully enough :)

As for their scratchability, perhaps. Just checked mine, and I see no
scratches on even the oldest ones (abt. 5 years old), so I assume
that normal carefull handeling is sufficient.

However surely, no filter must mean less degradation than any filter
:)

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)
  M.Sc in Computer Engineering