[OM] Silicone

Subject: [OM] Silicone
From: "Bill Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 16:15:40 -0500
Chris,

Siicone can be a nasty product, except of course, when used in a product
placed in a lady's chest. It gets everywhere, and is tough to get rid of,
which, I suppose, is why it is no longer used in that application. Ask your
local body shop about painting cars shined with silicone cantaining polish.
Every last bit has to be removed, or the paint simply will pull away, and
not stick. The same holds true for repairing furniture, as ordinary
furniture polish often contains silicone. I would expect that applied to a
lens element, it would create a world of problems.

Of course, in the above two examples, all traces are removed by careful
application of a silicon based product, sandpaper. That would not do for
your lens.

Bill Pearce