Re: [OM] ethyl or isopropyl

Subject: Re: [OM] ethyl or isopropyl
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2003 06:27:15 +0100
MEK is indeed pretty nasty stuff. One of the operations clerks on my first squadron (No 20, flying Jaguars from RAF Bruggen in Germany in the early 80s) found that it was effective in cleaning perspex map boards. He nearly fainted once when he used for more than a few minutes. He had found it in the engineers' store cupboard and had taken it without permission...

Someone discovered that the Cow Gum we used was also toxic. We used it for sticking maps together as it was quick and strong. After that we had to use Pritt sticks (whatever that is) and it took much longer and we had to use sellotape to reinforce the join for the hostile environment of the cockpit (maps get manipulated quite roughly when you are flying fast and low and need to know the next heading or fix point).

Chris