Re: [OM] Household cleaner, was Ranking of alcohols by aggressiveness

Subject: Re: [OM] Household cleaner, was Ranking of alcohols by aggressiveness
From: "Lama-Jim L'Hommedieu" <lamadoo@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2003 19:33:05 -0400
About a year after Sam Tellig began recommending Armorall for CDs, Stereophile
published a letter to the Editor which said that
Armorall is very acidic.  I don't know if it's true but they've been
backtracking on it ever since.

The coatings are physically delicate.  I think I read that eyeglass cleaning
tissue (which deposits a layer of silicone) is
contra-indicated.  Why risk it?  Is there a benefit I don't know about?

Lama

From: "Chris Barker" <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
I wonder what a silicone-based cleaner/polish can be used for.  I mean
stuff called Mr Sheen which is a household cleaner.   I use it for
tarting up lenses prior to sending them to the lucky recipient.  It
provides a nice black finish.  But would it hurt a coated glass surface
or produce unwelcome reflections or refractions?

Armorall (sic) is also pretty good for plastics.  It will even tend to
blend out chips or scratches in Samsonite luggage!