[OM] Cincinnati Camera fair, a review, njc

Subject: [OM] Cincinnati Camera fair, a review, njc
From: "Lama-Jim L'Hommedieu" <lamadoo@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2003 20:08:14 -0400
We had a "camera swap" of used equipment in Cincinnati today.  There were about
30 dealers in a room about the size of two tennis
courts.

My favorite conversation of the day happened at the booth of a guy who had 35mm
rangefinders on the table but a collection of framed
and matted B&W prints in the corner, on the floor.

Lama: "Wow!  That's some kinda great print you have there!   Can I take a close
look?"  I walked to the wall, got down on all fours,
and very carefully moved one print aside to get at the eye-catcher.

Dealer: "Well..... Okay, but be very careful."

Lama: "Oh, yeah, I will.  I can see that this stuff is valuable.....  Now
*THIS* is what it's all about!"

I held it up to better light.

Lama: "This is great."

Dealer: "That's an Uhich."

Lama: "Oh, I don't know about him yet."

Dealer: "Fifty-five hundred dollars."

Lama:  "Yeah, well, it shows.  It's fantastic.  Jesus Christ!  You have an
original Cunningham!!"

Dealer: "Not much interest in prints today."

Lama: "Camera collectors aren't art collectors....."

Dealer:  "It's like...."

Lama: <nothing>

Dealer:  "Do you remember...."

Lama: <nothing>

Dealer:  "Don McClean's song [Vincent] where he goes 'This world was...."

<silence>

Lama: "never meant for one as beautiful as you."

Dealer: <swallows hard>

Dealer: <softly> "yeah."

New customer: "Hey, look at the guy crawling around on the floor!  He's looking
at prints!"

Dealer: "He's looking at a [Minor White]."

Lama