Re: [OM] My new/old Zuiko-hauler

Subject: Re: [OM] My new/old Zuiko-hauler
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2003 15:56:58 -0700
Nice project. The film is amusing, but took forever to download over 1.5mbps DSL.

Moose

Jan Steinman wrote:

Requires QuickTime (comes with Macs, free download at
<http://www.quicktime.com> for Windows). Streaming video, 11 MB -- might not be
suitable for slow modems!

 <http://www.bytesmiths.com/van/PaintYourWagon.mov>

The graphic was shot with an OM-4T and a Zuiko 180/2.8 from the top of Mt.
Scott, the highest point in Crater Lake National Park, in eleven separate
frames, encompassing nearly a 90 degree angle of view. I scanned them and
assembled them into a panorama using Adobe Photoshop and layer masks. I printed
it out at 4 feet tall by 20 feet long, and cut the print apart into three
stencils to paint the mountain ridges. A second 3 foot by 15 foot print was cut
into stencils to paint the lake and island. With the help of several maps, I
determined the names of prominent features, and labelled them. For a dash of
color, I made the island a live volcano.

The movie itself was shot with an Olympus E-20, assembled from over 500
time-lapse frames. The morphs added another ~500 frames derived from about a
dozen still frames, also shot with the E-20.

My old step van got only 7 mpg on gasoline. This is a diesel, that I run on
waste vegetable oil. It gets 17-20 mpg on free environmentally-safe fuel that
was grown on American farms!

If you look at it, please email privately regarding performance. I haven't put
any time into hinting or optimizing yet. I've never streamed anything this big,
and I'm curious how it goes...