[OM] KEH Bargain = silvernose?

Subject: [OM] KEH Bargain = silvernose?
From: "Bill Stanke" <bstanke@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 13:11:26 -0700
Hi Zuiks:

I just had a visit from the Big Brown Truck.  He dropped me off a 100/2.8
from KEH.  It was rated as "Bargain" by KEH.  The aperture is crisp and oil
free, glass is clean and scratch-free, very little wear, even on the
aperture ring.  The only "drawback" that I could see was the silver nose.
Ditto for the 21/3.5 that I bought from them last week.

Now, two samples is not statistically significant, but I'm curious: does a
silver nose equal a "Bargain" designation?

The 100/2.8 also has the former owner's name and SSN engraved on the barrel.
Any good ideas for "un-engraving" a lens - black paint?

Thanks!

Bill Stanke