Re: [OM] Star Trails

Subject: Re: [OM] Star Trails
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 20:40:11 -0300
on 9/06/2003 14:31, Matt BenDaniel at matt@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

[snipped]
> I had never used E100VS for star trails, so on my first night I guessed wrong.
> I guessed f/8-1/2 for a six hour shot, but the shot came out too dark.
> I got my shots developed immediately after the first night so I knew.
> I switched to f/4 - f/5.6 for the remaining nights and they came out great.
Must I conclude I was very lucky that my 2 (two!!) consecutive star trail
shots came acceptable from first attempt (minor overexposure of trees in the
foreground)... ? Or must I conclude that the OM2 does reach -5.5 EV at ASA
100 while the Gossen Lunasix/Lunapro specs speak of metering from EV-4. This
question puzzles me since I was 20 !!

> I should mention that I didn't find E100VS to be the best film
> The sky came out too green, which I was only mostly able to correct in
> Photoshop.
On that time, only E100 existed and it rendered dark blue. But it was
developed locally, so only God knows how.

> Provia 100F and E200 are the best films I know for star trails.
Good to know, thanks :) Specially E200.

> Look on my web site here for example exposures to be your guide:
> http://starmatt.com/gallery/astro/starTrails.html
Been there during last month. Payed a lot of attention. Then contacted local
groups of astrophotographers. Maybe for my next life...

> Note that assessing the prevailing sky conditions is the part that requires
> the most experience.
Quite agree. That's why these pictures are so difficult, at least here.

>> Did you read Umberto Eco L'Isola del Giorno
>> Prima?
>
> Sorry nope.
Metaphysics of astronomy during the year of 1643; among other interesting
issues.

Rgds,

Fernando.