Re: [OM] Random musings...

Subject: Re: [OM] Random musings...
From: mak@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 23:43:01 -0700 (PDT)
Perhaps not. There is always the school of thought that the VAST majority of
film-based cameras will be worth about as much as a 8mm movie camera one day
soon...

Prices seem to remain in a free fall...there is an ocean of Hasselblad gear out
there...

Meanwhile, there seem to be more buyers than suppliers for used digital SLRs.
Prices for used D1s, S1s etc seem to be hovering about $1000 and look as though
they will continue to do so until the price of NEW gear falls (why should it?
Demand remains higher than supply...quick, walk into a store and try to buy a
new two year old design D100 off the shelf...what there aren't any? And
Canon/Kodak and Nikon/Fuji/Kodak seem in no hurry to lower the price and
profitability...

In terms of the value equation for at least the next five years there will be
more digital SLR buyers than sellers (as my father, father in law etc move from
N90's to D200s) providing some floor for prices...

> "Let's face it, a 10D is going to be worth almost $0 in a few years and
that
Hasselblad probably won't have changed."

I wish! Due to the rush of wedding and portrait photographers to digital (
suspect some will be unhappy with the decision), prices have tanked. I
have
an extra 500CM/A12/80CT* that I would like to sell. Note the operative
word,
like.

On film, EBX (elite chrome extra color) is Kodak's consumer Velvia. I've
tried it some, and it certainly isn't bad, and under some circumstances
can
be better that Velveeta, expecially when skin tones are involved. I can
certainly see why it would be good in the Rocky Mountain situation. I have
used it some in Colorado for landscapes. Colorado scenery can often times
benefit from increased saturation.

Bill Pearce