Re: [OM] 50/3.5 Macro

Subject: Re: [OM] 50/3.5 Macro
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 16:45:20 EDT
In a message dated 6/10/2003 3:26:32 PM Central Standard Time,
jjohnso4@xxxxxxxxx writes:

> I agree with you when it comes to flash lighting and shooting
> flowers.  Some of the ones that I shot with flash are my least favorites
> and will be replaced by existing light shoots as they become available

You might try two things when doing available light pictures of wildflowers.
1) Use a diffuser between the sun and your subject to soften the light and
make it less contrasty. 2) Use a reflector to add some detail in the shadows
and
here again to reduce contrast in the final product.  There will no doubt be
some suggestions about shower curtains, crumpled aluminum foil, pieces of white
foam board, matte board, etc.  These all work and I would suggest never paying
the exact amount when you are paying for something but rather break a bill
and throwing your change in a jar for a few weeks until you've saved enough to
buy a Photoflex or other brand of Lite Disc type device.  My first one, which
pretty much stays in my kit for things such as wildflowers is a 12" one that is
white on one side and glod/silver on the reverse.  I also have a larger one
that has 5 different possible finishes and one large one that is only a
diffuser which really came in handy on an outside daytime wedding shoot.  They
are
pretty inexpensive and very useful.  Bill Barber