Re: [OM] operation of shift lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] operation of shift lenses
From: Skip Williams <om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 09:39:57 -0500
You mighta want to think of a shift lens as a next-format-up lens.  i.e., it
has a bigger image circle than a standard lens, but the same Focal Length, and
thus On-Film Subject-Size.

So a 35mm shift lens is really a medium format, 35mm lens.  If you were to
graft one onto a Hassleblad it would produce an image with the FOV of a 21mm
Zuiko, yet cover the entire 60mm x 60mm frame.

The 24mm Zuiko has the FOV of an 18mm Zuiko, but with the FL (and thus on-film
subject size) of a 24mm lens.

When you get to 4x5, the lenses are already designed as shift lenses, so a 90mm
4x5 lens will cover more than a 5x7 frame, but it's designed to allow a
movements for 4x5.  Used with a 5x7 back, the lens will cover the 5x7 frame,
but you'll get restricted movements.

You could use a 35mm back on a 90mm 4x5 lens and it would give exactly the same
perspective and FOV as a 90mm Zuiko.  You'd just be throwing away about 950f
the usable image.

Skip

Please reply to [skipwilliams at pobox.com]
Direct responses to the email address on the header may get lost