Re: [OM] Re: everybody loves a shift lens...

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: everybody loves a shift lens...
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 17:49:07 -0300
On 6/11/03 4:55 PM, "Walt Wayman" <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I don't disagree with your thesis at all, but isn't it kind of
> comparing apples and oranges?  The bottom line remains the same:
> although the perception may change, the perspective doesn't.

This is completely correct. The only way you can really change the
perspective is by changing your position and most of those changes are going
to be due to parallax.

Really, you have 2 separate issues. The first is choosing the camera
position. This is when you're going to determine the perspective for your
shot. The second is the selection of focal length (be it by changing lenses
or zooming). This determines the framing of the shot and you can manipulate
how the perspective will be perceived in the final shot.

Sometimes I work in this order (choosing the position and then the focal
length), other times I work opposite to that (I already have a particular
lens mounted and I want to move my feet to change the perspective).

In the instance of moving my feet, I might be taking care of something like
the classic telephone pole growing out of the top of someone's head. In the
focal length selection, I might be using a tighter framing in order to
eliminate a distracting foreground object.

Really both issues are essential for creating a good shot.

--
Andrew "Frugal" Dacey
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx