Re: [OM] Re: 4/3rds, 16Megapixels?

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: 4/3rds, 16Megapixels?
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 17:21:39 -0400
While I agree with the premise that the yield is a problem, there is another
reason that the 1Ds is so expensive.

They can get it.

Tom

From: "Jan Steinman" <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> >From: Albert <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> >
> >Sony just coughed up 8 megapixel CCD's in a 2/3's " configuration.  If
> >that is translated to 4/3rds which I think is suppose to be 2x the
> >surface area, then that's a 16 megapixel possibility?
>
> Possibly, but at what cost?
>
> Semiconductor yield goes down and cost goes up with the square (or even
cube) of area. So if there is such a beast, expect it to cost 4-8 times as
much.

> That's why you don't see any full-frame 35mm digitals fur under four grand
or so -- the body and other electronics on the 10D and 1D are pretty much
the same, yet the full-frame one costs 6x!