Re: [OM] Some recent shots of the 10D

Subject: Re: [OM] Some recent shots of the 10D
From: Roger Skully <robinsnes@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 11:55:52 -0400
On 6/12/03 2:12 AM, "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thanks for checking, Roger. The problem is corrected and I hope everyone can
> see the larger photos. For the 10D, it has some problem on the shadow area,
> you may want to shoot RAW and use Phaseone LE to process them, it come out
> better even with no special adjustment but Phaseone LE also has its own
> problem - the sharpening can be adjusted by cannot be removed, the original
> Ca*o* RAW converter seems to do better here. Now I use the original RAW
> converter and adjust the 36bit tiff in Photoshop myself.
>
> I think the shadow details problem of 10D is not unique to this camera, I
> have seen some 1Ds shots has similar problem. Seems that it is Ca*o*'s own
> preference but I can agree with it and Phaseone also do the other way round.
> What I feel is E-10 perform much better here, the light response curve of
> E-10 just like slide, curved (compressed) at both ends and Ca*n* just
> reproduce a straight line which makes highlight easier to blow out and
> shadow drop very fast. But the 10D produce very high resolution and low
> noise image. For any important shoots, besides RAW you may also want to use
> bracketing to make sure you can get the best exposure.
>
> Regards,
> C.H.Ling

Thanks for your input. Your observation on the shadows I have found is
correct. I have not begun to use RAW yet. Could you give me, even
backchannel, some tips about how to begin?  I find that the 10D files really
need to be sharpened before printing. But the Oly also needed some work. I
miss the faster lens of the OM. I am using the IS lens. It is amazing:-)
Roger