[OM] Erasing engraved lettering

Subject: [OM] Erasing engraved lettering
From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 22:44:22 -0400
I listened to the traffic on how to repair lenses having somebody's drivers
licence number engraved into the metal somewhere, but I didn't hear anybody
mention what may be the best approach: Bondo, also known as auto-body filler,
which is intended for filling dents and holes in metal.

In short, one approach is to clean the engraving and surrounding metal off
using acetone or MEK, removing any paint in the process.  Allow to dry.
Carefully mix a batch of Bondo on a piece of cardboard.  With a small spatula,
press bondo into the engraved letters, and smooth the area off.  Allow to
harden overnight.  Using wetted wet-dry sandpaper, sand the filled area smooth.
 The water will prevent the sanding dust and grit from going everywhere.  Wipe
wet dust off with damp cloth.  Allow to dry.  Wipe with acetone.  Allow to dry.
 Paint black, three coats.

Joe Gwinn