Re: [OM] 16/S16, Totally OT now!

Subject: Re: [OM] 16/S16, Totally OT now!
From: "Lama-Jim L'Hommedieu" <lamadoo@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 02:27:55 -0400
Don't get me started on engine longevity!  My Volvo 240 engine has never been
rebuilt.  It sails through the 24 month emissions test
"better 'n some 6 month-old cars" yet it has more than 300,000 miles on it.  It
burns zero oil between changes which occur as Volvo
recommends, at 5,000 miles.  (Not a typo!)

A co-worker has been failing emissions for years and he skirts the edge of the
law by applying x number of dollars on the car,
without rebuilding the engine.  After that he is allowed to pollute the air for
another 2 years.

I asked him why he bought a low-ball Toyota Tercel in the first place.  A
former physics major, Chris said, I swear to God he said
this:

"I figured if I bought a small car, it wouldn't mess up the air too much."

Lama

PS, I have to admit, I've replace a few parts on the Volvo.  Some kid put the
wrong air filter on it, then tried to man-handle the
cover closed: $60 worth of Swedish plastic.

On general principle I changed all of the turnsignal, brake, and parking lamps.
 My Beetles and 914 had zinc-plated steel contacts
for the lamps inside the sockets and they rusted over time.

On the Volvo, I reached into the socket with a Q-Tip soaked in WD-40, swabbing
for corrosion.  None.  (?)  I swabbed again.  No
corrosion at all.  I pulled out a Mag-Lite and had a look:  All of the contacts
for the lamps are made of stainless steel.  After 15
years in the rust belt, always stored outside: no corrosion.

If you want to make a *real* improvement on those GM parts, STP ain't gonna do
it.  I suggest you replace the GM parts, all of them,
all at once, with Volvo parts.

From: "Walt Wayman" <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxx>