Re: [OM] But of course!

Subject: Re: [OM] But of course!
From: "Lama-Jim L'Hommedieu" <lamadoo@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 12:39:12 -0400
Two irons.  Four kinds of solder.

Those Radio Shack pencils are dirt cheap but they somehow selfdestruct when
left in the bottom of a banker's box for 3 or 4 years,
unused.  I have one 15 watt pencil now.  If I had a real justification I'd love
to get a real Weller solder station cause they're
hotter yet have a smaller tip.  Far too much money for my use though.

The other's a plumber's "soldering gun" I bought for speaker terminals.  It's
awkward as all heck.  It came with acid-core solder
for plumbing and a thick rope of radio solder.

I've always had a thin braid of radio solder around.

I found that Radio Shack sells "silver-rich" solder but they don't claim it
sounds better.  They say it's recommended for terminals
'cause it's physically stronger.  I'll bet the audiophiles assumed it sounds
better cause it costs more.  Did I buy it anyway?
Well, yeah, of course.  We're all perfectionists here, right?

What else?  Pro-grade strippers in several sizes from Home Depot, not the mail
order electronic houses!  Two solder suckers because
the cheap ones were false economy.  I want to get some of those old-fashioned
de-soldering webbed braids though cause they help in
tight spaces.

Lama

From: "Walt Wayman" <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxx>