[OM] High Flash Trigger Voltage Protection [was] Soldering

Subject: [OM] High Flash Trigger Voltage Protection [was] Soldering
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 22:41:04 -0500
If it's to protect an electronic shutter camera from an old high voltage flash, for a few dollars more you can buy a *new* Vivitar 283, Vivitar 285HV (the better buy). Get a Sunpak 383 if you want swivel as well as tilt. They're all low voltage now. I have a Sunpak 383 but if I had it to do over, the choice would be a Vivitar 285HV by a hair (I do like the Sunpak swivel). If you ditch an older high trigger voltage Vivitar to replace it with a new one, *keep* the battery holder and use it to preload a second set of batteries. My Sunpak handle flashes (544 and 555) have battery holders, and it's much, much faster than changing cells one at a time!

Paramount has cords with voltage protection:
  http://www.paramountcords.com/vp.htm

Here's the stuff made by Wein for the same purpose (hot shoe and monolight):
  http://www.saundersphoto.com/html/wein.htm

BTW, Olympus sells one of these devices for a hot shoe. However, it's a "pass-through" made by Wein, badged with Oly's logo, and with a price appropriately much higher (typical with re-badged "pass-through" items).

-- John