[OM] My first airport film fatalities

Subject: [OM] My first airport film fatalities
From: "Gary L. Edwards" <garyetx@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 18:43:36 -0500
1. On the trip to New Mexico (AA - DFW to ELP).  The Dallas TSA agent
cheerfully accepted my ziplock bags of film and we conversed as he checked
each box by tearing it open and removing the canister.  He did the Provia
first and just looked at the cans.  Then he noted as he picked up the first
box of HIE: "Infrared, huh?"  "Yes," I replied and then watched as he tore
it open, removed the canister, and OPENED IT!  "Stop!" I shouted, but too
late.  I had intentionally kept my mouth shut until then because he did not
open a single can of Provia. He opened it because it wasn't a clear can like
the Fujis.  He immediately closed it and did not insist on opening the
second HIE can, and he asked permission before opening the black Delta 400
cans.  He provided me a pen to mark the damaged can of HIE.  I'll shoot a
few frames and process it with the next batch to see how bad the
light-piping phenomena is.

2.  My nephew's last night little league game, at a ballfield with a lot of
lights burned out.  I popped a roll of Fuji 1600 print film in and shot
away.  When processed the film was hopelessly, uniformly, fogged.  Two rolls
of 800 Fuji shot the same night are fine. I've kept several rolls of 1600 in
my film drawer, primarily for throwing in the ziplock bag of Provia taken on
a trip to ensure a hand check when I run into an agent who does not know the
rules.  I don't often actually shoot 1600.  This roll may have been left in
the camera bag and inadvertently irradiated in the carry-on xray machine.
Or, it could have gotten hot in the car.  Either way, all of the rolls of
1600 in my film drawer are now suspect.  I could have clip tests run to vet
each roll, but I'll probably just mark them and write them off as only good
for airport sacrifices.

Gary Edwards

www.peopleplacesflight.com