Re: [OM] Paris Air Show...

Subject: Re: [OM] Paris Air Show...
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 05:02:24 +0200
Cc: garyetx@xxxxxxxxx
Gary,

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 21:38:36 -0500
"Gary L. Edwards" <garyetx@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thomas,
>
> The 300/4.5 is a fine air show lens.

Thanks, glad that you approve of my choise. Makes me a lot more
confident dragging it along :)

Since you've done a lot more aircraft-photography than I, do you have
any advice regarding appropriate (slide) films (and any other advices
you may have)?

> If you can't pack a tripod, try a
> monopod.  It will really make a difference.  Chris Barker gets a
> commision on all Camcanes (tm) sold to List members, BTW.  ;-)

Well, I live in France....I have a Gitzo monopod (of course), which I
may carry along. I'll have to check if they allow such, or if it will
be considred inappropriate. My backup plan is knowing someone
(sufficiently high in the cooporate chain) working at the airport,
and accidentially "forget" the monopod in his office the day before I
visit the show. Clearly, they would not prevent me from "picking it
up" once I have entered the airport property, right? :)

Speaking of...I am actually quite happy with this monopod -- I use it
"naked", i.e. I screq it directly onto the camera without any head of
any sort. Seems to work for me (and, let's face it, I bring the
monopod when space is the scarse ressource -- a head only takes more
of that ressource)

> If there are any performances by propeller-driven aircraft, try
> some slow exposures (1/125) while panning to get more
> natural-looking (to the eye) propeller blurs.  Shoot some fast,
> too, to be sure of getting some sharp airframe images.  Jets are
> easy - just bang away at 1/1000 or 1/2000.

Sound advice, I'll try that. I have never had much experiuence with
panning, so I will try both that, and some "fast" shots just in case
I do not get the panning thing atall :) It will be great fun, I am
sure. I will, probably, also take the eye off the camera quite a bit
to just enjoy the spectacle.

I know for a fact that there will be propeller aircrafts, usually
flewn by some crazy australian guy. Crazy as in "gee, I did not know
that you could actually do that to an aircraft - any aircraft", yet
he does that to some pre-ww-II-thingie. I've forgotten his
name, but his day-job is captain on 747's for some australian
airline. I tell you last time, the second item on my wish-list was a
DV cam of sufficiently high quality to capture the action (first on
the list would be the second seat in that aircraft while he was
flying it)

> Should be great fun.  We're not allowed to go to Paris ;-)

Ahh....another "unfortunate" CDFO-decission? Or is it work-bound this
time?

> but I'll
> be at Duxford next month.

Duxford? Tell me more....it may be possible to get around to
there....

--thomas

> Gary Edwards
>
> www.peopleplacesflight.com