[OM] Re: Powering macro flash modelling lights

Subject: [OM] Re: Powering macro flash modelling lights
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 21:22:25 -0700
>From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>2. Build it. How difficult would it be to build a unit?

If you have basic soldering skills, it is quite simple. It requires 6 volts.
That means 4 or 5 battery cells, depending on if you us alkaline or nickel
cells.

All the needed parts can be had at Radio Shack.

>tried the various connectors for my universal AC adapter and there were 2
>likely candidates...

Take it down to a Radio Shack and try them out there before you buy. Be sure
the center hole fits fairly snug -- there is one that fits the outside just
fine, but the inside is loose, which will cause intermittent problems.

>I wasn't certain of the
>voltage (although I'm guessing 6V)

Yup.

>or the polarity

The polarity is unimportant for the modelling lamps, but go with positive
center, and your battery will then also work with a Winder.

--
: Jan Steinman -- nature Transography(TM): <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>
: HTML email goes right in the trash! Turn off HTML if you want to email me.