[OM] Early success in powering the modelling lights

Subject: [OM] Early success in powering the modelling lights
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 02:45:04 -0300
Well I've been spurred on by the discovery (ie, finally getting around to
checking) that one of the connectors for my universal AC adapter fits the
connector for modelling lamps. After confirming that they use 6V (not
surprising since that's what the battery adapter for them is) and that
polarity wasn't a problem, I hooked them each of my flash heads (T10 and
each of the T28 twin heads) to the AC adapter. This was completely
successful and allowed me to confirm that the modelling lights for all the
heads do in fact work (I suspect this knowledge will come in really handy
later on should problems arrive).

I've heard a few concerns about the AC connector on the T power control unit
and where Tom Scales has conveniently announced the anticipated arrival of
at least 1 AC adapter 3 unit, I think I'm going to ditch the plans for an AC
adapter and just try to get 1 of the real ones. I don't see the point in
getting an AC adapter if I'm still going to be dependant on batteries to
power the flash(es).

And in spite of the comments that the modelling lights are useless outdoors,
I think I will proceed with attempting to build a battery powered power
supply for the modelling lights. This is more just for the sake of getting
my feet wet in electronics projects and it seems like a fairly easy one to
start with.

--
Andrew "Frugal" Dacey
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx