RE: [OM] (OT) Paris Air Show...

Subject: RE: [OM] (OT) Paris Air Show...
From: Marc Lawrence <mlawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 20:04:19 +1000
> Roger Wesson [mailto:roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] wrote:
> Well if you should miss it at the air show, Concordes are
> still flying out of Heathrow daily until October.

When we lived in the inner west of Sydney, instead of the
inner east, we were directly under the flightpath for
Sydney Airport. We were use to the 6:15am British
Airways flight from London on Sunday mornings, not to
mention every other flight the came into Sydney from the
north at any other time (we could give and get the
drivers-wave from the pilots).

Then, one day, instead of just adjusting to not hearing
the TV for a few seconds, the entire house shook and
it sounded like some international had decided to park
their 747 in our own little one-car "hangar". Even as
seasoned flight-path residents, it scared the bejeesus
out of us.

Turns out it was (of course) the Concorde. I wish I paid
more attention to the news - I wouldn't have minded seeing
that one land (and take photos of it), rather than just
feel it's sound all the way into my lower bowel.

Beautiful aircraft, and I'm sad to see them retire. I
remember the retirement of the Dak's (Dakota's - another
plane I loved) and the Canberra Bombers (well, I liked
their oddity in contrast to the beasty-looking F111's
at the same base) from the RAAF, but I got to *see* them
in the flesh before retirement, with a dad who was in the
RAAF his whole working life.

Cheers
Marc
Sydney, Oz