Re: [OM] In Defen[s,c]e of the OM4[] [was] plain OM4 questions

Subject: Re: [OM] In Defen[s,c]e of the OM4[] [was] plain OM4 questions
From: lamadoo@xxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 9:39:42 -0400
Olympus itself may have some responsibility for this.  As I recall the OM-4
manuals (Part "A" and Part "B") are not models of clarity or completeness.
I'll bet a dollar that they don't say anything about the REQUIRED chemical
composition (Silver Oxide) of the batteries for the 4.

By the way,
1.  I gave one of my brothers a OM-G and a tele a few years ago.  When I
visited after a couple of years, I asked about the camera and he told he "It's
jammed.  I couldn't rewind it."  I pushed down the rewind button and rewound it
then asked him if he read the manual I provided.  "Well, no."

2.  At a wedding, my brother's father-in-law said his clamshell Olympus was
broken.  It wouldn't fire.  I suggested he replace the batteries.  He said, "It
worked just before I left the house.  I really love this camera.  I took it to
China.  I hope it's not broken."  In my wedding clothes, I walked across the
street to a pharmacy, bought the battery, and "fixed" it.  "You're a genius,"
he said.

3.  At my other brother's house, I had a conversation with my brother's
mother-in-law said.  It was the first birthday party of her first grandchild.
"How do I use this digital camera?"  I said, "Gees, I don't have any idea."
She said, "But you're good with cameras."  I said, "Oh, that.  As soon as I get
a new camera I read the manual.....  Every word of it...... Have you read the
manual?"  Ms. Huff, "Well.... no."

When I was a mechanic, I picked up an expression from a guy who was in the
military.  RTFM.  It means "read-the-stupid-manual" except the appropriate
'military' substitution must be made.  Yeah, I know, I'm preaching to the
choir.  I know.

Lama

Have you guys noticed that the T32 manual doesn't tell you how to calculate
exposure for the Quarter-power manual mode?  It also doesn't call it
"Quarter-power".  I labeled the switch position "Q" so I'll know at a glance
it's two stops, the same as the ND4 panel.