Re: [OM] Paris Air Show...

Subject: Re: [OM] Paris Air Show...
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 18:55:45 +0200
On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 17:17:49 +0100
"Gareth.J.Martin" <g.j.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've seen Concord on several occasions, both flying and on the
> ground. Strangely enough I've never been a fan of Concord, I think
> its a bit plain (no pun intended), maybe its beacuse I like
> military aircraft. They are far more photogenic. I agree about the
> P-51 though. The Spitfire and Me-262 are at the top of my list, but
> if you really want to see aircraft beauty take a look at the Avro
> Vulcan, its spellbinding and I think is the best looking plane
> ever. There are plenty of abstract-type photo opportunites up close
> with a Vulcan. IMHO the Vulcan makes Concord look like a paper
> plane!
>
> All the best,
> Gareth.
>
> (Now waiting to be shot down by the Concord Appreciation Society!).

Well, fortunately for you, the Concord is not in millitary service
and does -- as far as I know -- not carry any missiles :)

What attract me by the Concord is excatly what you dislike: it's
"plain". The other aircrafts in comercial service today all look
too "opulent", bulky and bumpy: most of them are three cylinders
connected by a plate (wings) and with "some other odd stuff" in one
end (the tail). Sometimes I am surprised that they can get off the
ground.

The Concord is slick and slim. If you stand it upright on its tail,
it looks like an abstract representation of an elegant lady's white
evening dress. If you lay it down, it looks like something which was
really ment to dart through the air. And which other aircraft can you
draw recognizable by only three lines?

I seriously hope that there will be flights by the Concord at the
air-show, since I absolutely must get that aircraft airborne on film.

I'm a big fan of the Concord, and I am sad to see it go. Now, I am
not that familiar with millitary crafts, but I am sure that there are
both elegant and efficient constructions. However the Concord is
(was?) the only supersonic aircraft that I as a private citizen would
stand a chance to fly....

--thomas

> Thomas Heide Clausen wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 10:14:09 +0100
> >Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >

> >>Well if you should miss it at the air show, Concordes are still
> >>flying out of Heathrow daily until October.  I took some photos
> >of>a concorde taking off a few years ago, nothing too great but
> >nice>shots to have. Think I will have to make a trip over to
> >Heathrow>during the summer to see if I can do better.
> >>

> >Hmm....heathrow, here I come. Now, I also just need to save up
> >10KEUR so I can get to fly in one....and I thought funding for a
> >90/2 would be hard to get by the CDFO...
> >

> >>A friend of mine who lives very near to Heathrow can't wait until
> >>they are retired - that awesome roar is very impressive but I
> >>suppose it gets boring if you hear it every day!
> >>

> >Bahh, herecy. If they'd keep flying these birds, I'd gladly live
> >right off the end of the runway :)
> >
> >Anyways, I'll go to the Paris Air Show and practice photographing
> >flying aircrafts. Then, hit Heathrow :)
> >

> --
>
> Gareth.J.Martin
>
> Research Postgraduate
> School of Geographical Sciences
> University of Bristol
> University Road
> Bristol
> BS8 1SS
>
> g.j.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> attackwarningred@xxxxxxxxxxx
> eclipsing.binary@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> NE NLCOG - The amateur NLC observing group:
> http://freespace.virgin.net/eclipsing.binary
>
> "The only way of discovering the limits of the possible
> is to venture a little way past them into the impossible."
>
> Arthur C. Clarke's Second Law.
>
> "There is hopeful symbolism in the fact that flags do not
> wave in a vacuum."
>
> Arthur C. Clarke

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)