[OM] Summer vacation report

Subject: [OM] Summer vacation report
From: "Richard F. Man" <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 19:50:55 -0700
How I spent my (first of the) Summer Vacation :-)

Grandparents made a surprise appearance, and I dragged my wife screaming into having fun, despite she wanting to stay home and cast armors. All hell broke loose, and I just grabbed my M7 with 35'lux, and 50'cron, and the OM-4T with the 90/2 and 135/2.8. I thought about taking some wide angles with the OM, but why bother when I have the M7? (uh oh...)

Next day, we were at the Mono Lake. I raised the M7 to my eyes and.... dead batteries! Arrgggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... Of course in my pocket I have spare batteries for the OM but not for the M7 since the local camera store was out of the CR1/3 last time I was there.

Quick, lets see - Sunny 16! So I took a few shots using the 60th and 125th. In fact, I ended up taking at least 2 1/2 rolls on the M7 using either Sunny 16 rule or when I got smart, used the OM-4T's meter reading. So I have limited choices with the apertures, but it works. Next day, while hiking in the Bristlecone Pine forest, I lost the battery cap! Double arrggghhhh.... the day afterward, on Monday, we finally were able to buy replacement batteries at the store in Bishop. Having no battery cap, we improvised by using sports tape and small cardboard pieces. The ultimate cheap-look camouflage for the Leica! So do you think Leica will send me a replacement battery cap if I ask? The camera is still under warranty. I even have the USA Passport but the camera is only 3 months old. Getting new batteries mean I can shoot in auto mode again, so I chose to shoot mainly in manual mode! From previous years experience, I am finally remembering that the sky is much brighter and can fool the meters easily. So I took some meter readings, and switched to manual mode. Much easier to use than the exposure compensation dial.

Another point of the visit is to see the Mountain Light Gallery of the late Galen and Barbara Rowell in Bishop. I know some people don't think much of his photos, but he is my cup of tea. Definitely if you wonder about the limit of the 35mm system, check out some of the large digital enlargements hanging there. I think the largest one they have on display is something like 30x40". Sure, it can't compare to larger format cameras' output side by side, but it looks quite amazing nevertheless.

I used to think the OM-4 and the 90/2 macro is fairly heavy and all, and it still is, but I was hiking a lot with both cameras at the same time! I never thought I would do it like that, but it is sort of convenient to have a camera with wide angle and the other one with a medium telephoto. Just for good measure, I took a few macro shots just to make it worthwhile to carry a macro lens.

All in all, a very interesting experience. the Zuiko 50/2 and 90/2 are optically as excellent as anything. Unfortunately, the Zuiko wide angles cannot compare to the 35 'lux. Otherwise, I can relegate the Leica for low light indoor convention shots, and the OM for hiking. Oh well, life is not perfect....

The first 4 of the 6 rolls will be back tomorrow. We will see whether there are any good pics in the mix....