RE: [OM] Paris Air Show.../now CF-105 Arrow

Subject: RE: [OM] Paris Air Show.../now CF-105 Arrow
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 23:11:28 -0600
At 09:05 PM 6/17/2003 -0500, Gary Edwards wrote:
>The book is quite good: "Shutting Down the National Dream," by Grieg
>Stewart.  The truth is that very few of the numerous high supersonic designs
>of that era were successful in operation.  SR-71 and Foxbat were about it.
>And both of those had superpower dollars/ruples and the cold war behind
>them.  Even we couldn't afford the B-70.
>
>OM content - I took a picture of the surviving Arrow cockpit section in a
>museum near Toronto.

[snip]

Gary -- the full-scale mock-up of the CF-105 Avro Arrow that was used in the
movie is actually at the Reynolds-Alberta Museum near Wetaskiwin (south of
Edmonton, my home town).  It's quite impressive, especially when they roll it
outside and let you take pictures of it against the sunset (not that I've ever
had the opportunity...).  The wingspan had an area of 1,200 square feet!
(That's 33% more surface area than my house.)  Apparently, it needed it.  One
of the first things the test pilots said when they saw the first Arrow (201)
was "Jesus, she's a big bitch, isn't she?"  ;-)

OM content: when Hobbycraft Models finally brings out the new 1:48 scale kit
for the Arrow, I'm gonna build it and photograph it with me trusty OMs.  Should
be almost 19.5", nose to tail.

Garth