RE: [OM] Paris Air Show.../now CF-105 Arrow

Subject: RE: [OM] Paris Air Show.../now CF-105 Arrow
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 22:26:29 -0700

>At 08:32 AM 6/17/2003 -0700, Mike (concerning the Canadian made-for-TV
>movie "The Arrow") wrote:
>

>>>Not a bad movie (the first time) and an interesting bit of history but a
>>>little on the patriotic side, didn't it have support from the Canadian
>>>Film board?  In the Vancouver area it ran last weekend. And again less
>>>than 2 months ago on one of the other channels.
>>

>"A little on the patriotic side"?  Mike, we can't possibly hold a candle to
>some of the patriotism that comes over our cable TVs from American
>channels.  I should think you'd be completely inured to such influences by
>now.  ;-)
>
>As for who supported it, I'm sure it was the usual suspects -- the
>Government of Canada (through various agencies, programs, grants etc.), the
>Government of Ontario (ditto for various incentive programs and tax credits
>for film-making), possibly the National Film Board (though it's not really
>the usual sort of fare supported by the NFB), the CBC, and so on, ad
>infinitum, ad nauseam...
>

>Garth

Garth, I have no argument the about the patriotism on US channels. Fact
is, I don't even get any of them nor would i probably watch them if i
did. I think the quality of the TV news has gone down as the media is
concentrated in a few hands.  My three and a half watchable channels are
all Canadian. Of those three the CBC which is supported by the Canadian
government tends to focus heavily on the very politicians who pay the
bills. No surprise there. (want to know something about Canadian
political trivia just ask :>)  The Arrow story was an interesting one
and well done  and Canadians should be justly proud of the
accomplishments. And i think the bill payers in Ottawa like to see a
little flag waving and horn tooting too.

Mike