Re: [OM] Paris Air Show...

Subject: Re: [OM] Paris Air Show...
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 06:25:36 +0100
Might be true Giles. Up until the F22, accelerating to and maintaining supersonic speed has required the use of loads of fuel, and supersonic military aircraft cannot carry much of it. The Tornado can use a tonne of fuel per minute in certain conditions. Add to that the inexplicable antipathy that the general public has demonstrated for activities which can blow out their windows and collapse their greenhouses ....

The F22 is supposed to have an improved engine etc... which allows it to cruise ("super cruise") supersonic. However, aircraft manufacturers, especially of military aircraft, are infamous for their hype. Once you put useful stuff on the aircraft and increase the drag it is likely that this facility will become a dream again.

Chis