Re: [OM] OM4 Auto Metering problem?

Subject: Re: [OM] OM4 Auto Metering problem?
From: jason.gidden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 10:51:28 +0100
Hi Piers,

There is the option to have the aperture stop down autmatically as you
adjust the setting, or use the depth of field lever/switch when the
aperture is otherwise wide open.  Both of these settings are in working
order on the lens.  It's just that with the aperture already at f22, when
you activate the shutter it's like the aperture theoretically stops down
'another' 3-5 levels when actually taking the shot??  I'm sure I'm doing
something really stupid here.

It's not the end of the world as I mostly use the manual setting on the
camera.  I only have a real problem when shooting in lower light (I don't
have a seperate meter) and can't get a starting exsposure in order to
calulate the subsequent correct shutter speed for the aperture that I want
to shoot at and thus need to rely on the auto function.  Reading an earlier
note about a similar issue on another model somebody mentioned that there
is a different meter used to take the shot than that of the TTL-OTF meter
seen through the viewfinder.  I wonder if this has anything to do with it.

Thanks.

Jason.

>An alternative expanation, based on what you describe, is that the
aperture
>mechanism on the Tamron (or the mount) is stuck, stopped down.  Take the
>lens off the camera, set it to f/32 (or whatever is the minimum).  Look
>through the lens - it should be at full aperture - and push down the Depth
>of field preview lever (opposite the lens mount lock button) - you should
>see the aperture close, then open as you release the lever.
>
>It's strange, because only one lens seems to be implicated, yet the OM4
OTF