RE: [OM] OM4 Auto Metering problem?

Subject: RE: [OM] OM4 Auto Metering problem?
From: jason.gidden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 11:41:16 +0100
Piers,

If the lens is
actually stopped down, then the camera will measure "f/32's-worth" of
light,
thinking that it is "f2.8's worth" if you follow.

That would explain alot, I knew it would be a misunderstanding on my part.
As to point 3, I'd taken any filters off to remove their influence on the
reading but I did not actually fire the shutter, but armed with this new
information I'll try it out.

Thanks alot for your help.

Jason.

Jason

1     Yes indeed, that's why I suggested checking that the lens is
actually at full aperture when set to f/32 and off-camera.  If the lens is
actually stopped down, then the camera will measure "f/32's-worth" of
light,
thinking that it is "f2.8's worth" if you follow.

2     Not on the OM4, it has one meter using a semi silvered mirror bfore
exposure, then OTF.

3     To follow up on my ND filter musings - you mention the metering
results, but did the camera shutter actually open for 1/8 sec (as against
1/500)?

Piers