Re: [OM] Tamron 90/2.5

Subject: Re: [OM] Tamron 90/2.5
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 14:31:06 -0700
Of the first 2 versions, the 52B is more convienient for many who own Zuikos because of the 49mm filter size, although the 52BB also uses an Oly standard size of 55mm.

I've been very happy with the 52B. Get the matching SP 2x teleconverter for a 180/5 that focuses from infinity to 1:1.

Moose

Piers Hemy wrote:

There are two versions of the 90/2.5, and a (current, as far as I know)
90/2.8.

Model 52B dates from 1979, 52BB from 1988 and 72B from 1996.

As far as I can tell (having only the 52B and a translation of Tamron's
website) there were only cosmetic differences between the first two (and a
change of filter thread size but an increase in weight from 420g to 456g)
but the 72B introduced focussing down to 1:1 (earlier models could 'only'
manage 1:2) and weight reduced to 426g.

Others have spoken at length in the past of the good results from these
lenses.  The 52B handles very well, and Tamron's claims for the later
versions speak of improved handling. YMMV, as they say!

Pick either of 'em Donald, I don't think you will be disappointed (and you
don't have a Zuiko 90/2 to compare them with, now do you?)