Re: [Fwd: Re: [OM] Looking for 50mm/f2 lens :::off-line:::]

Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: [OM] Looking for 50mm/f2 lens :::off-line:::]
From: Albert <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 11:12:44 +0800
As a the saying goes "boys will want toys".. and I am definitely one of them..

I think, I am convinced that regardless of application; if I do not buy (before I die) a Zuiko 50mm f2 macro; and a Fuji GW690III; I will not die a happy man..

But I'm glad to hear of other more useful applications than those I've conjured up.

Thanks.
Albert

Moose wrote:

 Here's a forwarded reply from Gary Reese to my earlier post:

Moose:

To you since I can't easily post it.  Feel free to share.

<< It's interesting to speculate what kind of project would only or best work
with the 50/2. >>

Biology fieldwork where you already have a load of other equipment and you need to shoot handheld landscapes under forest canopies at the same time you
have lots of macro subjects to shoot.  Basically, the 50mm f/2 is a good
choice where weight is paramount, you love using a 50mm, you need to shoot
macro and you need lens speed for general subjects.

Copywork on Kodak LPD4, a very slow B&W slide film which doesn't require
reversal processing to get a tranny. The 50mm f/2 allowed, if I recall right, 4 sec. exposures at f/4, something that a 50mm f/3.5 whould have needed 16 sec. at f/8 (for equal image quality). Saving 12 sec. per exposure really added up when factored over a 150+ copy job, esp. given limited office hours in the government archives where I found my material to copy. Also, image manually timing each of those exposures! Your mind wanders counting down 16
seconds.

Copy work generally requires the 50mm macro when the document is standard
Letter size or somewhat bigger.

Gary Reese