Re: [OM] Dilemma

Subject: Re: [OM] Dilemma
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 07:43:21 -0400
Douglas,

Let me tell you, it is a slippery slope.  No one understands this better
than I do.  Just a mere four years ago, my entire OM kit consisted of an
OM-1, an OM-2, a 50/1.8 (fungusy) and two off-brand lenses.

That's it.

Then I found this list and then I found e*ay.

I told myself I could always stop.  It's easy, they're just, uh, equipment.

I started slow -- bought one lens.  Sadly, I don't even remember which one.
I am sure I overpaid. Then I found myself interested in higher number
bodies. It's a bigger number, it must be better, right?

It went slowly for awhile. A lens here, a flash there. I had it under
control. I didn't snipe, I never stayed up late, bidding alone.

Then it got bad. I started buying in bulk -- entire cases of the stuff. No
singles for me anymore, unless I could get the cheap stuff. I found myself
doing it alone. Often from work.  Meeting, what meeting, I have to be here
when the auction ends.

Then the enablers kicked in.  eSnipe.  That satisfied me for awhile, but it
wasn't enough. I wanted my own system.  Run it at home -- it sits there,
sniping for me, making it easier and easier.

For a long time, I convinced myself that it was OK. I was buying in bulk and
selling pieces to support the habit. I admitted my habit to my wife and the
stuff started coming to the house. But, oh I'm the salesman, I convinced her
it was a good thing that I was on a first name basis with the Postman, the
UPS driver and sometimes even, gasp, the FedEx man.  We're close, we joke
around, we see each other at least twice a week.  It's not cheating though,
we're just friends. It's business -- yeah, yeah, you've heard those words
before.

But it kept getting worse.  I had to have the imported stuff. Europe, Asia,
everywhere.  Not the best always, sometimes just the cheap stuff, but the
return addresses.  England, Switzerland, Australia, Norfolk Islands -- yes,
even small islands in the South Pacific.

I couldn't even go retail anymore -- not with my habit. I started hooking up
with distributors, wholesalers, anybody that would feed my habit.  The stuff
I craved couldn't be bought anymore, they didn't even make it.  But I had to
have it.  I needed bigger and stronger stuff. Found myself buying not one,
but TWO 180/2 lenses -- NIB.  It helped, for awhile, but it wasn't enough.
Then came the 350/2.8.   Ahhhhhh. What a rush. But it didn't last, the rush
never does. It's getting shorter.  It use to last for weeks, then days, then
hours.  Now I find myself sitting on the floor, peanuts all around me, the
box barely opened and I'm ready to move on to my next deal. I'm getting used
to it, I need it stronger.

Oh, oh, a 180/2, 250/2, 350/2.8 -- all at once.  What can I sell?  Do we
really need a car? Food? Kids?  Wonder what a ten-year-old is.....no, can't
go there. Even I still have some convictions (no legal ones, just personal
ones).

But here I am, sitting here, waiting for the big score from the South
Pacific.  Not 1 or 2 hits. Not 10 or 20. 229. Yep, 229 separate boxes, all
gold and black (my favorite blend). None of that used stuff here. All new.
Sigh.

But I know I'm fooling myself. I can't handle it, no one can.

Tom

P.S. this is what it looks like right now -- before the boxes arrive. And
this is just the big stuff -- the little stuff is still in various boxes
around the house.

http://www.zuikoholic.com/images/Now.jpg