Re: [OM] 2X-A teleconverter ?'s

Subject: Re: [OM] 2X-A teleconverter ?'s
From: Pschings@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 09:43:52 -0400
Cc: rhawkin3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In a message dated 6/20/2003 8:34:35 AM Eastern Standard Time,
rhawkin3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> I know the 2X-A is only recommended for use with specific lenses ( 1)
> 50-250mm/F5 zoom  2) 100mm/F2.8  3) 135mm/F2.8  4) 135mm/F3.5  5) 200mm/F4
> 6) 200mm/F5  7) 100-200mm/F5 zoom). Is this because of clearance problems
> with other lens rear elements or because of poor results optically with the
> other lenses? Does anyone have sample shots on the web of pics taken with
> the 2X-A and the recommended lenses? Has anyone attempted to use it with
> other lenses than those that are recommended? How does it compare with other
> 2x teleconverters? Is there any known difficulties in using it with any
> specific focusing screens? What should one expect to pay for one in
> excellent condition?

For an example of the 2x-A used with a lens it's NOT recommend for, take a look
at http://www.taiga.ca/~gallery/subpages/schings/zoo5.html which was shot with
the 300/4.5 and 2x-A.

It's the only teleconverter I've ever owned, so I can't compare it with
anything else.

I believe I paid $150 for mine - perfect glass and mechanicals, minimal
cosmetic defects.

Paul Schings