Re: [OM] Severe blasphemy

Subject: Re: [OM] Severe blasphemy
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 16:51:21 -0300
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, June 20, 2003 12:09 PM

> Appears that you are mostly interested in trying something different ...
>  - The 645 format would seem to be the easiest most flexible medium
> format
>  -  Your Arca-Swiss gives you the pleasures of working sloowww.
>
> Maybe a Horseman 6x9 Pro or a panorama camera would provide something a
> little different...
> -jeff

Well if I was to go for a 6x6 I was figuring I'd sell the 645. However, I
suppose another option could be to just expand my lens collection for the
645. I could even get a Pentacon 6 adapter if I wanted to use some of the
Kiev glass (although they are all designed for 6x6 so things like the 30mm
fisheye aren't as neat). I do have a few problems with the 645 though:

1. I don't have a WLF for the 645. I do have the 90 deg prism finder but I
find having to hoist the 645 up to eye level is a bit annoying at times. I
think the WLF could be a much better way to work with this camera for
handheld shots.

2. I have the original M645 so there's no interchangeable backs. This isn't
a huge deal but it would be nice to be able to swap backs. Of course that
does mean extra weight. Picking up some extra film inserts would give me
some of the utility without the extra weight. The other concern here is that
I wouldn't have the option for a digital back at a later date.

Still, the more I think about it, it does seem like a good way to go. I
don't think I could get my money back on the 645 so I'm better off turning
it into a useable kit. A WLF and some film inserts wouldn't be too much
extra money, then add a few other lenses and I'd have a very nice kit. Plus,
it's a cheaper option than buying a new 6x6 (and I don't have the concerns
over the reliability of the Kiev or Hartblei bodies).

Then with the money left over, I could still look into picking up an RF kit
(assuming I still want one after trying one out more).

Andrew "frugal" Dacey
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.tildefrugal.net/