[OM] Re: New scanner/digital rant

Subject: [OM] Re: New scanner/digital rant
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 22:01:08 -0700
>From: "Walt Wayman" <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxx>
>
>A 3200 d.p.i. scan of... a 6x7cm transparency produces a
>TIFF file of about 170MB, and a 6x9cm tranny tops 190MB.  That's
>three, maybe four, pictures per CD.  Whoa, Nellie!  I think I'm
>going to be fairly selective about what I choose to scan.

Time to get thee a DVD burner! I condensed my entire life's work of over 10,000
images from some 300 CDs onto just 38 DVDs -- and still keep the CDs for
back-up, although the DVDs are MUCH easier to access.

>I'm not a record keeper, and don't
>intend to become one, either on a computer or elsewhere...

Don't be a Luddite, Walt! Let the computer keep the records for you.

>I don't
>file; I pile. I truly believe that organized people are just to
>damn lazy to look for stuff.

It doesn't have to be "either... or" with these two! You can make "looking for
stuff" more efficient by using a computer, even if you're a "piler." My desk
has no surface visible -- in some areas, it's approaching four inches deep,
with no single item being thicker than a manila folder with a few sheets in it
-- yet I can find any one of over 10,000 images within seconds!

You need a good "asset management system." It does a lot of the work for you.
Of course, the more you put into it, the more you get out of it, but you can
flip through pages of images just as efficiently as you do with physical
artifacts.

My favorite is Extensis Portfolio. It lets you do stuff like add custom fields
and generate web pages. (Of course, so does other software, but I'm most
familiar with Portfolio, which I've been using since it was called "Aldus
Fetch.")

But I feel your pain. I'm doing drum scans of 4"x5" film that yield 1.5GB
files... you only get three of those on a DVD...

--
: Jan Steinman -- nature Transography(TM): <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>
: HTML email goes right in the trash! Turn off HTML if you want to email me.