[OM] Re: Fireworks

Subject: [OM] Re: Fireworks
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 22:15:58 -0700
>From: Johnie Stafford <jms@xxxxxxxxx>
>
>I'm going to an all day music festival next weekend and they are going
>to end the day with a fireworks display. I've always wanted to try to
>shoot one but I want to get some advice on how to get the best
>results.

1) Get a small bit of flat black matte board -- about 4" square works nicely.

2) Use a tripod, and frame up your shot on some of the early ones.

3) Set the shutter to "B", and open it with a cable release.

4) Hold the matte board in front of the lens until you are ready to "open" the
shutter for an exposure -- a firework is about to be launched. Be careful not
to bump the camera with the matte board.

5) "Open" the shutter by moving the matte board away from the lens.

6) "Close" the shutter by moving the matte board back in front of the lens.

7) After perhaps 3-6 fireworks go off this way, close the real shutter via the
cable release, advance the film, and repeat.

The purpose of the matte board pseudo-shutter is to keep the ambient light in
between fireworks from fogging the film, so you can maintain a nice black
background.

Here's an example of this technique:

  <http://www.bytesmiths.com/Art_Gallery/image.php?by_ID=794637>

I just put this image into production this week, and sold two already!

Requisite OM content: above image taken with an OM2n and 75-150/f4.

--
: Jan Steinman -- nature Transography(TM): <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>
: HTML email goes right in the trash! Turn off HTML if you want to email me.