[OM] Olympus C50 digicam - teardown report

Subject: [OM] Olympus C50 digicam - teardown report
From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 13:13:03 -0400
I stumbled upon the following article on page 12 of the 16 June 2003 issue of
"Planet Analog" (http://www.planetanalog.com/features/OEG20030618S0031) a
supplement to EE Times.  The article states that the camera uses a Matsushita
MN39593 5.36-Mpix CCD image sensor followed by a Analog Devices AD9846A
30-Msample/sec analog CCD signal processor, which then feeds the picture signal
of the analog-digital converter.   The AD9846A implements "correlated double
sampling" (to remove low-frequency noise) and programmable gain control (to
control exposure, or to set effective ASA).  I recall some prior reflector
traffic on noise removal and the handling of bad pixels; perhaps this is where
and how it's done.  I haven't yet had time to look up the datasheets.

Joe Gwinn