RE: [OM] OM4 Auto Metering problem?

Subject: RE: [OM] OM4 Auto Metering problem?
From: jason.gidden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 10:32:53 +0100
I checked the suggestion over the weekend and everything seems to be fine,
everything moving in tandem.

Jason, I wonder could it be the aperture linkage is adrift.  That is, if
the
lens aperture lever is not properly indicating the set aperture, it *might*
account for the problem you are experiencing, sucj that if you set an
aperture of f/11, camera thinks it is set at f/1.8, and meters accordingly
(at full aperture).  Lens then stops down, and suddenly five stops of the
light have gone.

Check by opening the back, looking thorugh the shutter when open on 'B'.
Adjust the aperture on the lens, and watch to see if the cam at 2 o'clock
in
the lens throat (looking from the rear) is moving in tandem with the lever
on the back of the lens.

I have had third party lenses which do not mate properly, and have seen OMs
where that cam has been chewed up, likely from the same cause.

Piers

I took some shots on auto using a couple of lenses other than the 135mm
f2.8 Tamron and the shutter appeared (as much as the naked eyes &ears can
differentiate speeds of 1/60th of a second etc.) to fire as indicated, it
certainly wasn't the multi-minute exposures I was getting.

Thanks to all who offered their opinons/assistance in this matter it was
much appreciated.

Jason.