Re: [OM] Infrared question number two

Subject: Re: [OM] Infrared question number two
From: "Walt Wayman" <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 18:24:43 -0400
I should have said "many, many years ago."  My brief experiment
with infrared film was in the mid '60s.  It, like fisheye lenses,
produces curious and occasionally interesting effects, most of
which are not especially to my liking, so I haven't had any real
interest in using it since.

A look back into history, i.e., my Amphoto Lab Handbook, circa
1970, shows a daylight ASA speed of 50 for Kodak High Speed
Infrared Film with a No. 25(A), No. 29, No. 70 and No. 89B
filter.  But except for the caveat, "Safelight: Total darkness
required," there are no admonitions about loading and unloading
the camera in total darkness.

In fact, on the very next page, which is the data sheet for Kodak
High Speed Infrared sheet film 4143, which has (or had) an even
higher daylight ASA of 80 with the same filters, there is this
notation: "Safelight: Total darkness required.  A safelight filter
Series 7 (green), in a suitable safelight, with a 15-watt bulb can
be used at 4 feet."

Which leads me to ask:  Just how fast is the current infrared film?

Walt